on December 14, 2022, Sejauh Mata Memandang had the pleasure of hosting Rekosistem, a pioneering zero-waste management start-up. The interaction revolved around the pivotal topic of waste sorting and management.
In the current scenario, Indonesia is grappling with a staggering 60 million tons of waste generated each year, out of which 45.6% is inorganic. Despite the enormity of the issue, a mere 49% of the total waste is efficiently managed with a low recycling rate of 14.58%. This stark reality underscores the urgency and importance of achieving the Indonesian government's 2025 target, which ambitiously aims for a 30% reduction, reuse, or recycling of all waste, while efficiently managing the remaining 70%.
With the guidance of Rekosistem, the Sejauh team delved into understanding the different categories of waste that our daily routines produce, namely organic, inorganic, and residual. Not only did the start-up illuminate the characteristics of these waste types, but it also shared invaluable insights on unique management methods for each waste category.
The educational session with Rekosistem was a testament to the criticality of correctly sorting and managing waste. It served as an impetus to inculcate responsible habits not just within our office, but extending to our homes and wider communities. By properly sorting and managing waste, we can significantly increase the amount of recyclable inorganic waste, reduce contamination, and support more humane waste management processes. This is a small yet impactful stride towards a more sustainable future.